We welcome you both as you plan your Wedding. Your wedding day completes one period of your relationship and begins another. We want your wedding to be perfect for both of you. We hope that we can be of help to you as you plan your ceremony.
You may find the following information helpful as you commence your preparations.
With every blessing and good wishes.
The priest who will officiate at your marriage will normally be the priest of your area. If for special reasons you want another priest to officiate, he needs permission for this from the priest where the marriage takes place.
You must see the priest at least six months before the wedding date to arrange the date and time.
The priest of your area will arrange your documents with you.
He will require from you:
1. A recent certificate of Baptism from the Church where you were baptized (i.e. one issued within the previous six months).
2. Letter(s) of freedom to marry. These can be got from the priest of any parish where you have resided for more than six months.
3. Pre-nuptial Enquiry Form. The priest will complete this form and you will sign it. This signed form is a declaration that there are no impediments to entering marriage.
4. Civil Law requires you to register for your marriage. You must register at the registration office in New Antrim St, Castlebar three months before the wedding ceremony takes place.
Preparation for marriage is essential. The Regulations for marriages for this Diocese require that:
1. A six month notice of marriage should be given to the priest in charge of the marriage.
2. The couple should attend a Pre-Marriage course. This course helps couples to deepen their knowledge and love of each other, and in particular their understanding of the meaning of married love. It also gives an opportunity to learn from other married people different aspects of married life, e.g. sexuality, family planning, communication, the making of a home.
Information concerning Pre-Marriage Courses are available in this information pack.
Fr. Francis Judge Tel: 096 31677
Fr. Garriel Rosbotham Tel: 096 31344
Parish Office: Tel: 096 31677